You depend on your air conditioner to keep you comfortable when temperatures start soaring. Your A/C also purifies your air, helping to keep you healthier and preventing allergies and respiratory problems. Like all appliances, air conditioners need a certain amount of maintenance to perform their best. Eventually, parts wear out or malfunction. Many people simply deal with such issues as they arise. A more proactive approach, however, is to get regular maintenance for your air conditioner. Let’s look at some of the ways that this helps you stay comfortable and saves you money in the long run.
What a Professional Checkup and Maintenance Includes
When you arrange for A/C maintenance, the particular tasks performed by the contractor will depend on your needs and what type of plan or contract you have with the company.
The following are some of the tasks that are typically performed during an A/C checkup or general maintenance.
- Lubrication of all moving parts to keep them running smoothly.
- Check controls and starting cycle to ensure everything is running safely.
- Check thermostat settings to help you stay comfortable and to reduce energy consumption when you’re not home.
- Check and tighten electrical connections, which is essential for efficiency and safety.
- Inspect, change and clean air filters.
- Check and adjust refrigerant levels.
- Clean and, if necessary, adjust blower components, evaporator, and condenser coils.
Having these maintenance tasks performed regularly will help your A/C operate more efficiently and help prevent problems. If you haven’t had a checkup or maintenance performed on your A/C in a while (or ever), it’s good to schedule one as soon as possible. The best time for regular maintenance is before or early in the spring before you start using your A/C.
A Comprehensive Maintenance Plan
If you want to make sure your A/C is running well and do everything possible to maximize your comfort and energy efficiency, you can sign up with a maintenance plan that includes certain services. For example, the Gulf Coast Club Preventive Maintenance Agreement includes:
- Seasonal checkups.
- Diagnostic reports.
- 5-year extended parts warranty.
- Refrigerant top-offs as needed.
- 10 percent discount on energy improvements.
Benefits of Regular Maintenance
There are quite a few benefits to keeping your A/C system well-maintained.
- Better cooling capacity, which keeps you more comfortable.
- Save on energy bills.
- Improved air quality.
- Parts last longer.
- Less chance of major problems or breakdowns.
You tend to take your air conditioner for granted when it’s working well. To ensure that it continues to run smoothly, however, it’s best to perform regular maintenance on it. Signing up for a comprehensive maintenance plan provides you with maximum protection and peace of mind.