At some point, it’s likely that you’ll need to call an HVAC company to look at or repair your heating or A/C unit. Perhaps you even need a whole new system installed. It’s important to choose the right company. You want to make sure that the work is done properly and that you don’t overpay. Here’s a checklist of 10 points to help you select the best HVAC company.
• Be prepared. Before you even start contacting HVAC contractors, it’s important to take inventory and understand your needs. Have all of the relevant information about your system, such as the make, model and history. Document any problems you’ve been having.
• Make sure contractor meets local and state requirements. HVAC contractors are required to have certain qualifications such as licenses, insurance and bonding. People who advertise casually with posters and on sites like Craigslist may not meet these requirements. It’s risky to hire anyone who isn’t licensed and insured.
• Ask for referrals. Your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers can be the best place to turn for reliable contractors in your area.
• Look at ratings, reviews and testimonials. You can look up the company on sites such as Yelp, Angie’s List, Facebook and Google and read any reviews and ratings. Most contractor websites have testimonials posted.
• Get estimates from several companies. You want to get written and itemized estimates so you can accurately compare a few different offers.
• Ask for references. While it’s helpful to look at testimonials and reviews, it’s even better to actually talk to previous customers. A reputable contractor will be able to provide you with references whom you can call. Ask these previous customers if they were satisfied with the work and if it was completed according to the schedule.
• Choose a company that uses energy-efficient products. One way to ensure you’re getting the most environmentally friendly products is to make sure they’re Energy Star certified. This lets you know that products meet the standards set by the EPA.
• Ask if they offer service contracts. Service contracts protect you and ensure that the company stands behind its work. You can also get contracts that include regular checkups and maintenance. This is a convenient way to make sure your unit gets the service and maintenance it needs.
• Ask what brand names they carry. If you’re getting new equipment installed or parts replaced, always ask what brands will be used. If you’re not familiar with the brands they use, do some research. It’s best to stick with established and reliable brands.
• Get a written proposal. Before the contractor starts working, make sure you get a proposal in writing. This protects you in case there’s any disagreement later on about the costs of parts or labor.
This checklist will help you choose an HVAC company that’s trustworthy and keeps your heating or A/C system in top condition. You don’t have to hire the first company you call. Do your research, compare estimates and select the company that’s likely to provide you with the results you want.