Smart thermostats are just what the name implies. They are wi-fi enabled thermostats that let you control the temperature from any location. These devices can make your life more convenient while helping you save money on energy bills.
Benefits of Smart Thermostats
There are several advantages to using a smart thermostat. The specific features may vary from model to model. However, there are some benefits they have in common.
- Save energy. The main reason to use a smart thermostat is to save energy and lower your bills. Some models send you convenient monthly reports and recommendations on how to use energy most efficiently. This is good for both you and the environment.
- Notifications. Some smart thermostats can send you email or text message notifications in case the temperature falls outside your specified range. This can alert you if there’s a problem with your system or a power outage.
- Remote access. You can control your home’s temperature from your smartphone. You might, for example, want to turn up the heat or A/C when you get out of work so you can return to a comfortable temperature. Many models not only work with your smartphone or tablet but also with other “smart” devices such as Amazon Alexa. With Alexa, you can adjust your thermostat with voice commands.
- Learning ability. Some of the more advanced smart thermostats can actually learn as you use them. They can make adjustments based on the way you usually set them at certain times. This saves you from having to always remember to adjust the temperature.
- Notifies you when it needs maintenance. Some models will alert you when it’s time to perform maintenance such as changing the air filter.
- Convenient for vacations. If you’re going to be away for a while, you can easily set your thermostat at the appropriate settings and make adjustments as needed.
Choosing the Right Model For Your Needs
There are now a variety of smart thermostats on the market. Here are some of the main considerations to keep in mind when shopping for a smart thermostat.
- Features. Make sure you do some comparison shopping and select the brand and model that’s right for you. While many models have impressive features, consider what you actually need.
- Cost. You have to consider the price, of course. Keep in mind, though, that these devices can save you money in the long run as you learn to use energy more efficiently and lower your power bills.
- Compatibility. Smart thermostats are usually designed to work with all types of HVAC systems. You should, however, verify that the model you’re considering is indeed compatible with your system.
- Reviews and reputation. Check out professional and customer reviews for smart thermostats. Some of the most highly rated smart thermostats include the Nest Learning Thermostat, the Honeywell Lyric Round and the Ecobee4 Alexa-enabled Thermostat With Sensor.
A smart thermostat is a way to give you more control over your home’s temperature and your energy consumption. If you’re accustomed to more traditional thermostats it may take you a little time to adjust to a smart device. However, you’ll soon appreciate how your smart thermostat makes it easier to keep your home comfortable while also saving you money.